Japan is the 8th most peaceful nation in the World. It is very advanced and has a strong economy. If you see the global peace index chart, you will find Japan at the 9th position as measured in 2016. Advancement in technologies can easily be seen as the country has a lot of research centers in different fields and industry. Also, Japan is searching and manufacturing robots to ease people’s life.
Is it a great idea to move your family to Japan. You can only know that if you measure the advantage of living in any of the different cities of Japan. Besides that, you can also measure the cost of living in the cities of Japan as compared to the other major cities of the developed nations in the World.
Ten best cities to live in Japan
Despite of being a populous country, there are still many places in Japan that are best for people to live in. Below is the list of top 10 best cities to live in Japan:
- FukuokaFukuoka is an affordable city to live in. Rent Prices in Fukuoka are 81.58% as compared to the New York City; restaurant prices are 58.42% lower as compared to New York City; and groceries are 2.59% lower. The city lies on the island of Kyushu, third biggest island of Japan.
Fukuoka is not just the best city to live in Japan; it is also the 18th most livable city in the World. It is an important harbor of the country. Three sides of the city are surrounded by mountains while Hakata bay is located in the northwestern part of the city.
There are many great landmarks in the Fukuoka city such as Fukuoka Castle, temple of kushida-Jinja, a canal city of Hakata, Fukuoka tower, and Hakata port tower. In 2006, Newsweek regarded Fukuoka in the list of “10 most dynamic cities of the World”.
It is also an affordable city as the prices of rent is very low. Grocery prices are a little high as compared to Fukuoka city. Being the seat of imperial power, Kyoto remained as the capital for almost 1000 years. After Meiji the Great moved his seat to the Tokyo city, the capital was moved from the Kyoto to the Tokyo City.
It is a cultural and religious hub of Japan. There are 2000 religious places, 1600 Buddhist temples, and 400 shrines in the city. Millions of tourists visit this city every year. Notable shrines include Kinkaku-ji, Kamigamo Shrine, Shimogamo Shrine, Tō-ji, Daigo-ji and many others.
- SapporoRent and grocery prices in Sapporo are quite low as compared to New York City. People live a peaceful and healthy life in this city. There is not much hustle and bustle in Sapporo as compared to the capital city of Tokyo. That is why it is one of the best cities to live in Japan.
If you like winter season, Sapporo is a great option. It is a great ski resort for people who come here every year to enjoy the winter season and the famous Sapporo Snow Festival. The snow festival attracts 2 million tourists every year to the city.
The Hanami festival brings thousands of people to the city every year. People come here to view Cherry blossom, a tradition that runs thousands of years back and will keep running ever.
Cost of living excluding rent: 91.4%
Rent Index: 43.06%
Grocery index: 94.53%
Local purchasing power: 94.17%
People will not like the idea of “moving to Tokyo”, but you will be surprised to know that Tokyo is one of the most peaceful cities in the World. If you love the hustle and bustle, nightlife, and hot springs, Tokyo will give you all that you are looking for. The greatest landmarks in Tokyo include Shinjuku, Tokyo Disneyland, Harajuku, Meiji Shrine, Senso-ji, and many other great sights.
- YokohamaYokohama is a beautiful seaside city. It is a major port city of Japan. Besides living in this beautiful port city people can enjoy their time at the historic Chinatown or visiting the sea paradise of the Yokohama City.
- OkinawaOkinawa is a beautiful island of Japan. Living in this heaven is a great thing. Besides living there, you can enjoy your time on the beautiful seaside destinations. In addition, there are many historic shrines in Okinawa such as Awase Shrine of Okinawa.
- KobeKobe is the 6th biggest city of Japan. It lies on the southwestern side of the Honshu Island. Akashi Kaikyō Bridge connects Kobe with Iwaya mainland on the Awaji Island. Bloomberg regarded Kobe as the 11th most livable city of Asia.
- NagoyaWhile Sapporo is a winter loving city, Nagoya on the other hand, provides its citizen a great summer season. Many festivals are celebrated in the summer months of the Nagoya city such as June Port Festivals, Nagoya Castle Summer festival, and October Nagoya festival.
Nara is located one hour distance from the Kyoto City. It is a great place to live and work in Japan. People can visit some thousands of years old temples such as Todaji Temple, Horyuji Temple, and a few other temples in the city.
- ChibaChiba is a port city located 40 kilometers away from Tokyo. It is less populated and a modern city of Japan. If you like seaside, ports, and museums, Chiba will suit your lifestyle. There are many beautiful sights in Chiba such as Hoki Museum, Makuhari Messe, SSAWS ski resort, and Chiba Debra.