Allama Iqbal is no doubt the most influential Pakistani poet who has inspired Muslims of East India to get their own separate land, where they can exercise their religion without any religious discrimination. Besides Allama Iqbal, many famous Pakistani poets have influenced a huge generation of Urdu speakers in Pakistan and Urdu speaking people living across the country.
Urdu poets and Sufi poets in Pakistan
Besides Urdu poetry, many famous Pakistani poets have a huge number of books written in Persian and other native languages. Beside poetry, Sufi kalam is also famous in the region. There are a great number of Sufi poets in Pakistan and India. You should also get to know about Sufi poets and their famous works. Some famous Sufi poets are: Sultan Bahu, Pir Naseer-uddin Naseer, Fariduddin Ganjshakar, Mian Muhammad Bakhs, Waris Shah, Shah Hussain, Bulleh Shah, and Ustad daman.
Top 25 famous Pakistani poets that everyone should know
- Allama IqbalAllama Iqbal is the most famous Urdu poet in the World. He has also written poetry in Persian poetry. He is known by many different names including, Shair-e-Mashrik (Poet of the East), Mufakir-e-Pakistan (Thinker of the Pakistan), Artist of the Pakistan, and The sage of Ummah. People celebrate his birthday or Iqbal’s day with great regards. He proposed the Muslims of the East India, Ideology of their own Muslim State, the Two Nation theory. Most notable works by Allama Iqbal are Israr-e-khudi, Payam-e-Mashrik, Armaghan e Hijaz, and many great works.
Be true to my Muhammad (P.B.U.H)
I (Allah Almighty) will be yours
Not only this world, this universe
Even the pen of destiny will be yours (to command)
- Hafeez Jullundhri
Hafeez Jullundhri is known to be the author of National Anthem of Pakistan. He has written many nazms and poems to boost spirit of arm forces and freedom forces that fought in the war of 1948 and the 1965. His remains are buried near Minar-e-Pakistan, Lahore.
- Sufi Ghulam Mustafa TabassumSufi Ghulam Mustafa Tabassum was a punjabi poet from Lahore. He has worked in Pakistan Radio and Television broadcast. He has written several poems and poetry for different programs and singers. His famous poem “Aye Puttar Hattan Tay Nahin Vikday, Tuun Labhdi Phirrein Bazaar Kurray” was sung by Noor Jehan as an inspirational song at the times of 1965 war between India and Pakistan.
- Tabish DehlviTabish was an inspirational figure in Urdu poetry in Pakistan. He also has worked for All-India Radio before partition and later for the Pakistan Radio. His was a gold medalist in Swimming in Olympic games. His other hobbies were Badminton, football, and hiking.
- Amjad Islam AmjadAmjad Islam Amjad is a famous Pakistani poet, writer, and columnist. He has written the story Waris drama series. Amjad Islam Amjad also writes for the magazine under the column, Chasham-e-Tamasha. He has received many awards including Pride of Performance and Sitara-e-Imtiaz.
- Anwar MasoodAnwar Masoon is one of the most famous Pakistani poets of the comical genre. His famous words are: Jehlum Dey Pul Tay, Anarkali dian Shanan, Hun ki karyay, and many other works.
- Bushra FarrukhBushra Farrukh is one of a few Pakistani female poets from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. She is also an actor and tv host. She has worked in several different languages including, Hindi, Urdu, Pashtu, and Hindku.
- Faiz Ahmad FaizFaiz Ahmad Faiz is one of the most influential Pakistani poet from the Narowal City. Major literary works by Faiz Ahmad Faiz include, Naqsh-e-Faryadi, Dast-e-Saba, Zindan-Nama, Dast-e-Tah-e-Sung, Sar-e-Wadi-e-Sina, and Mere Dil Mere Musafir. He was honored by the award, Nishan-e-Imtiaz, in 1990.
- Habib JalibHabib Jalib is a progressive writer and poet Hoshiarpur, Punjab. He centered his poetry on the topics of Political affairs and state affairs of Pakistan. His most famous poem was Maan kay paon talay jannat hai idhar aa jao. He wrote the poem to brought people of Pakistan in favor of Fatima Jinnah election campaign against general Ayub Khan.
For centuries you have all stolen our peace of mind
But your power over us is coming to an end
Why do you pretend you can cure pain?
Even if some claim that you’ve healed them,
I refuse to acknowledge, I refuse to accept.
- Ibn-e-InshaIbn-e-Insha was a famous Pakistani poet, travelouge writer, and humorist. He has written several famous poems and other materials. Famous works by Ibn-e-Insha include, Inshaji uttho ab kooch karo, Chand Nagar, Dil-e-Wehshi, Billo Ka Basta, Dunya Gol Hey, and several other works.
- Khushal Khan KhattakKhusal Khan Khattak was a Pashto poet, writer, and warrior. He is known to unite Pashton tribes against the Mughal emperor, Aurengzeb. Khushal has successfully defeated the Mughal forces against many of his campaigns. He also translated literature from Arabic and Persian to Pashto language.
- Khawaja PervezKhawaja Pervez was a Pakistan poet, songwriter, and lyricist. His song “tum he ho mehboob mere” in the movie Aina was one of his greatest work in Pakistan Film Industry.
- Mohsin NaqviMohsin Naqvi was a famous Pakistani poet from Dera Ghazi Khan. He has written several poems, ghazals, naats, and hamds in Urdu language. His famous works include, Azaab-e-Deed, Khaima-e-Jaan, Rakht-e-shab, and several other works.
- Majeed AmjadMajeed Amjad is one of the best Pakistani poets. He received many praises from his followers including Noon Meem Rashid, Faiz Ahmad Faiz, Nasir Kasmi and many others. He is also referred as “philosophical poet of depth and sensitivity”.
- Munir NiaziMunir Niazi won Sitara-e-Imtiaz for his great works in Urdu literature. He also has written lyrics of famous songs sung by many great singers including Noor Jahan, Mehdi Hasan, and Naheed Akhtar.
- Mustafa ZaidiMustafa Zaida was a student at Allahabad University. His famous literary works include Zangeerein, Gareban, Roshni, Shehr-e-Azar, and many other works.
- Muzaffar WarsiMuzaffar Warsi is one of the most famous Pakistani poets in the genre of writing naats and hamd shareef. His famous literary works include Alhamd, Noor-e-azal, dil sey dar-e-nabi tak, and many other naats. In the year 1988, Muzaffar Warsi claimed the Pride of Performance at the hand of president of Pakistan.
- Naeem HashmiHe is a famous actor, writer, producer, and director in the Pakistan film industry. He has worked with many famous singers including Saleem Raza and Zubaida khanam. Ziddi, Shareef Badmash, and Chitra tey Shera are a few famous works by Naeem Hashmi.
- Nasir KazmiNasir Kazmi was a one of the greatest Pakistani poet who has written several poems that were featured in several movies of Bollywood and Lollywood. Horse riding, travel, and hunting were a few of his favorite hobbies. He died in the year 1972.
- Noon Meem RashedNoon Meem Rashed was one of the greatest modern Urdu poet of the 20th century. He has written songs and poems for many Bollywood movies. Famous works by Noon Meem Rashed include, Mavraa, Iran Main Ajnabi, La Musawi Insaan, Gumaan ka Mumkin, and Maqalat of Noon Meem Rashed.
- Parveen Shakir
Because of her beautiful Urdu poetry, people say Parveen Shakir as the “poetess of the fragrance”. The greatest works of Parveen Shakir include, Khud Kalami, Inkaar, Kaf-e-Aina, and many other works.
- Rahman BabaRahman Baba was a Pashtun sufi poet from Peshawar. Dīwān was one of a few published work of Rahman Baba. His shrine is located in the Peshawar City.
- Raees WarsiRaees Warsi is a popular Pakistani poet and ghazal writer. He also has worked at the Pakistan Radion and Television broadcast. Many famous singers have sung ghazals written by Raees Warsi.
- Shabnam RomaniShabnam Romani is the pen name of the famous Pakistani poet, Mirza Azeem Baig Chughtai. Romani famous works include, Jazeera, Tohmat, Doosra Himala, Mozay Chilghozay, and Hurf Nissbat. In Feburary 2009, he died at the age of 80.
- Zaheen ShahZaheen Shah was a sufi poet, scholar, and thinker from the Chistia order of Sufism. Islamic Constitution of Zaheen Shah and Āyāt-i jamāl are a few of works written by Zaheen Shah Taji.